Monday, November 21, 2011

Victory!

It may be possible that Ben had not eaten a green vegetable for two years. I know, what kind of parents are we anyway? As many of you can relate, when you have a child who is a finicky eater who barely eats at all, with food allergies to boot, you carefully pick your battles, right?! My theory: always offer and put it on the plate, but don't create a struggle over it.

Well, on Saturday, we experienced our first green veggie victory! You cannot imagine the excitement that resulted from this mama! Ben loves chips, so I made kale chips. I can't say I had ever eaten kale myself, but supposedly it is a super food, so I thought we'd give it a try. Here is how you make it:

1 bunch of kale
1 tbsp of olive oil
seasoning salt

Cut the kale away from the thick stems. Wash well and rip into bite size pieces. Some of my pieces were too big and didn't get crispy, so next time I will make sure I really make them bite size. Drizzle the kale with olive oil and salt to taste. Toss together. Spread on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 until edges are brown, but not burned, probably about 10 minutes.

I watched in stunned amazement as Ben devoured them, had seconds, and then had thirds. Unbelievable! Kale chips are going on the current short list of "likes" for Ben!

4 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea! Love that combo of tasty and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I'll have to try this for myself! I don't mind green veggies, but need ideas for me. Found out I have high cholesterol, so this would be a great way to get veggie+olive oil=yippee. Love it!

    I make brussel sprouts the same way, except I toss with garlic powder and a little pepper instead of salt. That might be a little too much green vegetable for Ben right now, but I think they're divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you, Rachel! Carter is such a picky eater. We go by the rule that you have to at least try it. We will have to try the kale chips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these and they were amazing! I loved the really crunchy ones - a lot thinner than I thought they'd be, but sooooo good! The boys didn't care for them much, but I will be making them again myself for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete